Select the search type
  • Site
  • Web
Search
Slownik Geograficzny Translation

Biała woda

Biała woda, a village in Suwałki district, Jeleniowo community, Suwałki parish, 6 versts from Suwałki: numbering 54 residences, 232 males and 219 females for a total of 451 inhabitants. Throughout the area heaps of "stones" can be found so called by the villagers. These are remnants of pagan cemeteries. Beneath the stone piles are found mounds with stone slabs which, upon opening, are unquestionably ancient burned clay utensils and urns. Here, Alfons Budzinski found several stone hatchets and hammers of various sizes with perforated centers. He recorded the results of his research in the "Warsaw Library." (February 1871). Karol Hoffman

Source: Słownik Geograficzny Królestwa Polskiego - Warsaw [1880, vol. 1, p. 182-183]

Copyright 2008-2016 Version 7.04.01 by PolishRoots   |  Privacy Statement  |  Terms Of Use